Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Oct. 10 - 100 words

So here’s something I didn’t know.

Platypuses make poison. A venom, to be exact. Only the males produce this venom and they squirt it from the spurs on their back legs – on their ankles -- while fighting off other males during the mating season. Sadly, it’s not lethal to humans but can cause excruciating pain. Swelling occurs quickly around the injection site and gradually spreads throughout the affected limb. From there it seems to develop into a long-lasting extreme sensitivity to pain (hyperalgesia) that can last for days and even months.

I have to figure out how to use this.

No comments: